William Jowitt - Pre War and training 

Bill was born in Hull, East Yorkshire, on 24 January 1921, the eldest child of William Jowitt (1893-1963), from Leeds and Gudridur Helgidottir (1894-1981) originally from Iceland. William Snr had fought on the Somme in the First World War in the Army Service Corps and on his return started a haulage business in Hull. 

Bill grew up in Anlaby, Hull with his younger sisters;   Norma, Patricia, Helga and Julie. He went to school at Riley High School, Hull and then attended Technical College. After leaving school, he spent a short time driving for the family firm in West Hull. After his father’s trucks were requisitioned for war work, he worked for Blackburn Engineering at Brough Aerodrome.

When Bill was called up to serve in the army in 1941, he faced the choice of either taking a commission in the Royal Tank Regiment or joining the Corps of Signals as a wireless mechanic. In light of his father’s advice, he joined the Signals and went to basic training in Ossett, West Yorkshire. (Bill is pictured back row 3rd from right) 

He was allotted the trade of Instrument Mechanic and posted to 3rd GTT Bn at Ossett.  By October had qualified to the AIII grade and was posted to 3rd Holding Bn at Huddersfield. Here, he immediately came to the attention of a Phantom recruitment officer - possibly because he had mechanical, driver and linguistic skills. He was seconded to join Phantom Regiment in November 1941 and was based in Richmond Park, London, where Phantom had its HQ at Pembroke Lodge (Below). Much of th eunit's activity centered around St james' Park in central London where ther was a large pigeon loft and where Bill is pictured with B Squadron - back row, second left. 

He was allotted the trade of Instrument Mechanic and posted to 3rd GTT Bn at Ossett.  By October had qualified to the AIII grade and was posted to 3rd Holding Bn at Huddersfield. Here, he immediately came to the attention of a Phantom recruitment officer - possibly because he had mechanical, driver and linguistic skills. He was seconded to join Phantom Regiment in November 1941 and was based in Richmond Park, London, where Phantom had its HQ at Pembroke Lodge (Below). Much of th eunit's activity centered around St james' Park in central London where ther was a large pigeon loft and where Bill is pictured with B Squadron - back row, second left. 

© 2023 by Phantom Living History Group